Piestany monuments

Riaditelstvo kúpelov - Spa Headquarters

Riaditelstvo kúpelov - Spa Headquarters

(Winterova 29) - cultural landmark. Formerly Gentry Inn depicted in 1806 by copper engraver J. Fisher is likely identical with the construction Adam Trajan from Benešov praised already in 1642 in his ode Saluberrimae Pistinienses Thermae as „...large house to salubrious magnates only/pleasant lodgings offers...“. Under present eclectic outlook gained as a result of several reconstructions made by numerous well-known as well as unknown architects that turned a former inn into Spa Hotel, and in the end Spa Headquarters administrative building with shops on the ground floor, we can observed al least Classicistic and even Renaissance substance.

 

Napoleonské kúpele - Napoleonic Spa

Napoleonské kúpele

Urbane complex of three Classicistic buildings build directly over springs, gained its well known look in-between 1821 - 1862. In the largest Spa object with bath tubs and Mirror pool Napoleonic Spa I (No. 12) circled around by path lined with Tuscany columns, the largest part of the older bath tub spa matter destroyed in 1813 by the floods is hidden. Part of the present building in the Napoleonic Spa III (No. 8) is related to reality resulted from the building reconstruction immediately after the foods. Little trapezoidal plaza made up from all three buildings has characteristics of space harvesting the deception effect of perspective. Although the beginnings of the present day Napoleonic Spa buildings are partially identical with the Napoleon Empire style, their name is not linked by any real relationship to any of the three know people bearing this name; it was only a clever marketing move.

 

Roman-Catholic school

Is one of the most significant examples of Eclecticism in Pieštany. The original Municipality Office Classicistic building was reconstructed in 20´s of the 20th century into the County Court. R. Scheibner, Pieštany native living in Berlin, was the author of the adaptation project. Other changes - the latest being during its remodelling into a school - didn’t make any real impact onto its Eclectic external outlook. Two Scheibner’s Doric columns at the main building entrance are the only use of such columns in Pieštany.

 

Kursalon - Spa Hall

A wide-spread free-standing building lies next to the Town Park since 1894. It was built following a project by Ignác Alpár, eclectically oriented architect. Despite numerous adjustments and reconstructions, the building has retained majority of its original décor. The composition centrepiece is monumental area of the hall - “salon” from which the original name was derived from; its interior is richly decorated with plastics. Museum collections are exhibited in part of the building since 1928. In the Museum of Balneology collections are significant and important archaeological findings, precious ethnological material, and documents from the history of the Spa Pieštany as well as the spa treatments in Slovakia and many other items. A special place is reserved for memorabilia tied with the M. R. Štefánik who was one of the former Czechoslovakia founders after WW I.

 

Vila Löger

Frame house, from unknown author, represents Romantic so called „Spa style“ of the 19th century latest decades. It is a remnant of picturesque and romantic build-up area of the former King’s Row. The charming oriel on the main façade is the oldest preserved oriel in Pieštany. The reconstruction at the 20th century end restored functionality to villa; in present it is used as secondary school dormitory.

 

Liecebný dom Slovan - Spa House Slovan

Spa house, originally named Grand Hotel Royal, was built in 1906 following the project by A. Oberländer. It was the first monumental hotel building in Pieštany with 160 beds and with rich dimensioned dining rooms, social and other needed interior space and terraces. Grandiosely decorated hall used to serve as concert auditorium, international conferences were organised there as well as other significant events. In its exterior lavish in arcades, balconies with decorative railings, oriels, dormers, little roof tower and other forms, the author’s peculiar love composing supporting elements (column) on an axis of series of holes. Since 1986 when the building was locked-up, there were considerations to rebuild this landmark.

 

Spa complex Thermia Palace - Irma

Kúpeľný komplex Thermia Palace - Irma

Spa Hotel Thermia Palace and balneal therapy building Irma, joint together not only with a walkway, were built in-between 1910-1912 following the projects by architects H. Böhm and Á. Hegedus. One reliable static analyst A. S. Kovács had great deal in successful constructions - he among others has proposed adequate way how to lay Irma foundations in its aggressive natural environment of surrounding springs full of sulphur. He worked out appropriate two-layered dome with its 21 m diameter that spans over the mud baths. Large number of visual arts experts and artisans took part in Art Nouveau decorations proposals and creations. Both buildings create one clever functional unit that provides all necessary balneal and physiotherapeutic treatments, accommodation, restaurant, catering and some cultural and supplementary service.  The complex that comprises also parks before and behind Thermia Palace underwent thorough and complete reconstruction in 2006 and still stays a Pieštany Art Nouveau “flagship”.

The sculptures of Antique Gods Chloris (Flora), Demeter (Ceres), Hermes (Merkur) and Pallas Athena (Minerva) that stand tall in the park before Thermia Palace were made in 1803 by unknown sculptor who displayed feeling for Classicism. They were relocated from a manor in Králová pri Senici in 1942. 

The bust of Hungarian Empress Alžbeta (Elisabeth) in a niche of the Irma façade left buttress, work by sculptor G. Jankovics, was displayed next to Spa Headquarters, in the place of the than taken down Baroque chapel of St. John Nepomucký from 1902 until the Republic rise in 1918.

 

Ružový mlyn - Rose Mill

Large industrial object that was, for its time, equipped with the latest and most modern equipment; it was built in the WW I times (1917-1918) following a project by A. Brachrach and A. Harsányi. Today, it is the only one remaining and working successor to the miller’s trade long tradition in Pieštany.

 

Promenade Spa Bridge

There is proposal to include this construction into the World Heritage List of „Modern movement“ Landmarks.  Reinforced concrete promenade bridge, also known as Colonnade Bridge of Glass Bridge, was built in 1931-1933 according to projects by architect E. Belluš. The Bridge attractiveness is heightened with shops incorporated into the quay bridge fields; in the middle of the Bridge, on the glass wall dividing the Bridge in two covered promenade strips, there are two glass etchings made to Martin Benka´s (famous Slovak painter) sketches. A bronze statue by Kühmayer - the Crutch-breaker - found reclining over the fountain before the entry to the Bridge on the town side is very popular. The Bridge supposed to have covered promenade strips continued in a quay colonnade (hence the name „Colonnade Bridge“) but that never materialised. At the end of the WW II the retreating Germany army blew the middle fields up; the reconstruction that returned to the Bridge its original Functionalistic outlook was finished in 1956.