Hevíz monuments

’Holy Spirit’ Roman Catholic church

’Holy Spirit’ Roman Catholic church

This church is the biggest one in Hévíz. It seats 1000 people. József Szendi, the former bishop of Veszprém laid the foundation stone on 27 May 1996, on Whit Monday. The building was built in three years to the plans of architect János Bocskai with the financial support of Hévíz and its citizens. The church was consecrated by retired archbishop József Szendi on 9 September 2007. The seven towers of the church symbolize the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit.

 

Lutheran Church

Lutheran Church

The plans of the church were made by the architect Balint Szeghalmy from Nagyvárad in 1941. At that time the church could not be constructed, but finally between 1995-98 it was built. The redstone wall  and marble decoration of the church reminds us of the Hungarian Calvinist churches in Transylvania. The execution of the woodworks is also noteworthy. The official laying of the foundation stone took place on 21 Jun 1997. The church was consecrated by Béla Harmati (Lutheran priest) and Dr. Mihály Márkusz (Calvinist bishop) with the service of the local priest, on 6 December 1998.

 

The church of Egregy

The church of Egregy

The church of Egregy is one of the most beautiful, rural churches of the Roman era. This is one of the three churches of the Árpád era still intact among the churces of Balaton and its surroundings.

The exact time of the contruction of the slender stone church is not known, but it is estimated the first part of the 13th century. The first chartered data is from 1341. During these times the church suffered big damages and was rebuilt and renovated several times. The present Baroque form of the church was created in the 18th century from plans by Kálmán Lux.

 

’The heart of Jesus’ church of Egregy

The church has two parts built in different periods. The bell  tower was built in the twentieth century, but the nave was built between 1994-95.  The construction of the nave started in 1994 from János Bocskai’s plans. The modern church looks splendid with its green colour. It was consecrated by  Dr. Gáspár Ladocsi (brigadier, army bishop) on 22 April 1995.

 

The former Roman Catholic ’Nagyboldogasszony’ church

Today this former church is used as the Mother Theresa residential home. It served worshippers for 33 years, but was closed after the consecraton of the newly-built Roman Catholic church. The local government of Hévíz reconstructed the interior of the church into the residential home.

 

Town hall

Town hall

The newly-built town hall of Hévíz was built  between 1998-1999 on the place of the former village house and its surroundings. The mayor of Hévíz and Bertalan Farkas (space research engineer, brigadier and Hungary's first astronaut) laid the foundation stone of the building on 31 Januar 1998.

Next to the main entrance of the town hall stands an ellipse shaped tower which contains a staircase and houses a carillon of 18 bells. Its special purpose is to provide thrice daily the music for the marionette procession.