Gyor monuments

Gyor

www.gyor.hu

Gyor

Gyõr, this mellow and colourful town is situated half way between Vienna and Budapest, and hosts a vast array of architectural, cultural and natural treasures.

The radial road network of the settlement connects Slovakia from the north, Austria from the west, Lake Balaton from the south and Budapest from the east to the town, the heart of Kisalföld ("The Small Plains"). The Gyõr-Pér airport opened not long ago makes the town accessible by air as well.

Gyõr, Hungary's second richest town in historic buildings outside Budapest has won Europe-award for the protection of the historic buildings, in acknowledgment of the reconstruction of the Baroque centre of the town. Churches, palaces, museums, characteristic corner-balconies and narrow lanes, all reminders of a historic past, invite visitors to take a walk in the centre of the town.

Our sacral monuments in and around Gyõr are the memorials of 1000-year-old Hungarian Christianity. Saint István (Stephan) founded the Episcopate of Gyõr together with the first dioceses one thousand years ago. The Basilica and the Bishop´s Castle erected on Káptalandomb (the Chapter Hill) are symbols of the Christianity of West-Hungary.

Gyõr is a town of festivals where friends of the arts and those who are eager for a high-quality relaxation can find attractive programmes all the year round.

This lively settlement with buoyant economic and commercial development offers splendid opportunities also for the representatives of business life to meet here.

Nature embraces and weaves through Gyõr along the rivers. The medicinal waters, the landscape and the cultural-historical treasures of the environment: the Szigetköz water-land and the Pannonhalma Hills allure people who want to have a rest or relaxation.

The Rába-Quelle Bath, the bath of meetings has been recently opened in the city of meetings. Through its services it creates additional excellent opportunities for an active holiday, for recovery or relaxation.

 

Basilica

Basilica

Saint Stephen established the Gyõr Episcopate in the first decade of his reign (1000-1009). The foundation of the Gyõr Basilica was also laid down during his time. At the end of the XI. century the sources already write about a three-nave church with raised sanctuary. The first towers were built during bishop Omodé (1257-1267). Bishop János Héderváry built a gothic chapel at the end of the XIV. century on the southern part of the church, where now you can find the herm of Saint Ladislaus and the memorial tomb of bishop Vilmos Apor. One tower of the church collapsed in a fire after the Mohács battle (1526), and later - around 1580 - an explosion pulled down also the other. The restoration of the church is associated with the name of bishop György Draskovich (1635-1650). He entrusted the famed Italian architect Giovanni Battista Rava with the planning. The tower and the sacristy were built already under bishop György Széchenyi (1659-1681). The baroque renewal of the church interior was made under bishop Ferenc Zichy (1743-1783). The plans were made by Menyhért Hefele, while the frescoes and a part of the altar-pieces were painted by Franz Anton Maulbertsch and his pupils. Some of the altar buildings and statues were made in the stone-carving workshop of J. Gotschall in Wien. The Blessed Virgin-picture decorating the altar of the northern side nave made the church one of the most significant pilgrimage sites in Hungary. For the fortification of the tower, Jakab Handler built a neo-classic facade on the western side in 1823. At the beginning of our century it was given basilica-type roof and was equipped with neo-Romanesque details on the basis of the plans by Sándor Aigner and Károly Csányi. The Basilica was restored between 1968 and 1972.

9021 Gyõr, Káptalandomb
Visiting hours: daily  8.00- 12.00, 14.00 ? 18.00

 

Bishops Castle and Episcopal Palace

Bishops Castle and Episcopal Palace

The traces of Roman building activities have been found in the foundation of the castle. Its oldest parts are the lower section of the tower castle, the so-called runaway corridor dating from the XIV. century, as well as the adjacent cross-vaulted hall. The chapel built by bishop Orbán Dóczy in 1481 - 1486, fitted to the eastern corner of the castle tower is a rare example of the multi-level castle chapels. The castle went into the hands of the commanders of the castle after the Mohács Disaster (1526). Continuous fortifications were carried out on it, because of the threatening Turkish danger. The largest rebuilding took place on the basis of the plans of the Italian Pietro Ferrabosco between 1561 and 1575. Yet, the Turks occupied the castle on 29th September 1594. However it went back to Hungarian hands four years later, on 28th March 1598. The restoration of the building was made by bishop Ferenc Zichy (1743-1783) who also extended the building to its present form. The latest renewal of the castle and the palace was completed at 1984. A permanent exhibition was opened in June 2004 about Bishop Vilmos Apor, who was shot dead by Russian soldiers in the cellar under the castle in 1945. The exhibition keeps the memory of Vilmos Apor?s martyrdom alive, presenting his life and works, his sacrifice and his martyr?s death. Bishop Apor?s devoted life and martyrdom is presented not only by excerpts from his diary but also with the aid of different relics, documents, music, light effects and various audio-visual means.

9021 Gyõr, Káptalandomb 1.
Tel.: +36/20/312-8735
Opening Hours: TUES-SUN: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Guided tours for groups starting every hour on the hour.

 

Gyõr Diocesan Treasury and Library and Lapidary

The treasury typically consists of liturgical objects; the donors - bishops and aristocrats - donated valuable goldsmith masterpieces and textile garnitures to the church. From the XV - XVI. centuries mainly Hungarian works became parts of the collection, while from the XVII. century up to the beginning of the present century mainly pieces from Vienna, owing to the strong Austrian ties. The treasury's collection of gothic chalices is extremely valuable, the earliest piece of which comes from the beginning of the XV. century. The cloisonné enamel-type and filigree-decorated chalices are marvellous relics of art from the Matthias-age. One of the most beautiful monstrances of the treasury was made at the end of the XVII. century; this piece was donated to the Cathedral by bishop Ágost Keresztély in 1701. The textile relics of the Gyõr Treasury are from the XV - XVI. century; earlier they belonged to the church requisites or they were parts of the liturgical priest dresses. The renaissance mitre embroidered with real pearls showing the arms of Pál Bornemissza, Bishop of Transylvania can be considered an outstandingly precious jewel treasure. The library-museum is the result of the amalgamation of two old, valuable libraries; it contains the old books of the former Seminary and the Cathedral. Now the Gyõr Diocesan Treasury and Library contains some 67 thousand volumes of book, 190 incunabula and 362 manuscripts from before 1850. The most valuable books are the Korvina, originating from the library of Matthias Hunyadi, as well as the Zalka-antifonálé, the biggest Hungarian codex, which was taken from Nagyvárad to Gyõr. Stones and stone remains from the Bishop?s Castle and the Cathedral in Gyõr, deriving from medieval and modern times, can be seen in the Museum of Stonework of the Diocese of Gyõr.

9021 Gyõr, Káptalandomb 26.
Tel.: +36/96/525-090
www.gyor.egyhazmegyeikincstar.hu
e-mail: gyekk@axelero.hu
Opening hours: March to October
Tuesday to Sunday: 10.00  16.00

 

Benedictine Church Saint Ignatius of Loyola

Benedictine Church Saint Ignatius of Loyola

The first church of the Jesuits who settled down in Gyõr in 1627 was built between 1634 and 1641 according to the plans of Baccio del Bianco, modelled on the church Il Gesú in Rome. The monastery and the school were also standing by 1667. The two towers are from the XVIII. century. After the dissolution of the Jesuit Order the Benedictines became owners of the building complex (1802). The interior of the church is early baroque. The nave was decorated in the middle of the XVIII. century; the main altar-piece (The apotheosis of Saint Ignatius), the ceiling pictures of the sanctuary and the nave (The ascension of Saint Ignatius, Angelic salutation) were painted by Paul Troger, the most famous artist of the Vienna baroque painting. Lajos Gode made the beautiful baroque pulpit in 1749, while the organ case is from 1755.

9022 Gyõr, Széchenyi tér

 

Carmelite Church

The Carmelites settled down in Gyõr in 1697. Their church was built by the plans of lay brother Athanasius Wittwer from the same order, between 1721 and 1725. The monastery was completed in 1732. The main facade of the building shows Italian-like character, behind which a domed nave of elliptical shape and a square sanctuary can be seen. Mario Altomonte painted the main altarpiece. The ?Black Mary? statue from 1717 stands in the famous Loreto-chapel of the building complex.

9021 Gyõr, Aradi vértanúk u. 2.

 

Greek Catholic (Serb) Church

A church, built in the Turkish era was standing already in 1703 in the place of the present building, which was re-built in 1727. It was that time that the tower, the nicely formed onion-shaped cap of the simple, wall-surrounded church with buttress fortification was made, together with the interior iconostas of great artistic value. The iconostas and the internal decoration are from the late baroque-age, in which the orthodox way of expression mixes with the characteristics of the contemporary Middle- and Western European style in a unique way.

9025 Gyõr, Bálint Mihály u.

 

Lutheran Church

The church is characterised by its pleasant proportions (that can be best embraced from the bank of Rába-river) and fine facade. It was built between 1783 and 1785, in a closed courtyard and without tower. The most remarkable ornament of the internal choired, chamber-type church is the late baroque pulpit-altar, including the painting of Soma Orlai Petrich. Another treasure of the church is the baptistery, standing in front of the altar, which was carved out of red sand-stone in 1817. On its bell-shaped cover there is a small group of cast statues showing the baptism of Jesus.

9025 Gyõr, Petõfi tér

 

Reformed Churc

The church was built in 1905 according to the plans of Károly Csányi, in late historic, neo-gothic style. The church has remarkable relics from the XVII - XVIII. centuries.

9025 Gyõr, Kossuth L. u. 9.

 

Synagogue

The synagogue was built by the neologian Israelite congregation between 1868 and 1870 in neo-Romanesque style, with an octagonal plan. The church interior is breath-taking with its circular balconies and the dome even in its present condition. It served as pattern for a number of significant European synagogues at the time of late historism. The partially restored building has been the location of various cultural events since 1990. It is planned to turn to a conference-and cultural centre in the near future.

9025 Gyõr, Kossuth L. u. 5.

 

RÁBA-QUELLE MEDICINAL, THERMAL AND PLEASURE BATH GYÕR

RÁBA-QUELLE MEDICINAL, THERMAL AND PLEASURE BATH GYÕR

The bath is located on the headland at the junction of Mosoni-Danube and Rába rivers, where you can get a marvellous view of historic town center. The predecessor of the thermal bath is the seasonal open-air bath, which was built according to the plans of Alfréd Hajós in the year 1931 and is operated on a territory of almost 5 ha even today.

The waters of Gyõr were already mentioned in medieval chronicles, for their healing effect on a number of diseases. The water of a temperature of 67 C° and flushing out of three thermal wells of 2000 metres depth was qualified as medicinal water in 1978.

The up-to-date Rába Quelle Medicinal, Thermal and Pleasure Bath, satisfying the demand of our days, was opened to the public on 3rd October, 2003.

The bath of meetings offers appropriate services for each generation they may require.

 

MEDICAL WATER, CONDITION TREATED

Thermal water of alkali-hydrogen carbonate and chloride, which, owing to its iodidion content, can be classified as iodian medicinal water. The metasilicic acid content of the water is also significant.

Gyõr medicinal waters are highly recommended for those suffering from detritional bone and joint diseases and chronic inflammatory joint and muscle disorder. Chronic inflammatory gynaecological patients and those fighting against chronic bronchitis or pulmonary emphysema may also enjoy the healing effect of the medicinal waters, which may also be used for a water cure: also effective in case of diseases of digestive system or a reduced thyroid function.

Thermal water of alkali-hydrogen carbonate and chloride, which, owing to its iodidion content, can be classified as iodian medicinal water. The metasilicic acid content of the water is also significant.Gyõr medicinal waters are highly recommended for those suffering from detritional bone and joint diseases and chronic inflammatory joint and muscle disorder. Chronic inflammatory gynaecological patients and those fighting against chronic bronchitis or pulmonary emphysema may also enjoy the healing effect of the medicinal waters, which may also be used for a water cure: also effective in case of diseases of digestive system or a reduced thyroid function.

 

PLEASURE BATH

Five pools and two water-slides, one of the 64 metres and one of the 38 metres. Children can play in a separate pool. It is extremely well-equipped with pleasure-elements: horizontal and geyser massaging nozzles (at various heights), a water-fall, a wild water-canal, a cascade with a cave and a jacuzzi await the visitor.

 

THERMAL BATH

It includes two pools filled with medicinal waters (32 C° and 38C°) and equipped by a filling-emptying system, as well as a thermal pool (28 C°) with massage in horizontal position and nozzles giving massage to the back and waist.

Exercises in the water under the direction of physiotherapists help the relaxation free of charge every hour, an excellent programme for every generation.

 

SAUNA GARDEN

Finnish saunas (5) with state-of-the-art technology, steam cabins (2) and infra cabin for four persons await bathers int he sauna garden. Services include a jacuzzzi for 16 persons, indoor and outdoor submerging pools.

 

HEALTH-ISLAND

In this unit equipped with special air filter system various massages and herbs-packs help the regeneration.

Massages: massages with herbs and relaxing, regenerative and medical massages (in Indonesian and Indian rooms).

 

OTHER SERVICES

In the bathing area catering estabilishments and bar-in-the-water are available for our guests while in the hall the Colibri snack bar and restaurant where events can also be arranged.

Besides, we would like to call your kind attention to the solariums; one of them is funnel-shaped and can be used in standing position while the other is horizontal, air-conditioned and furnished with refreshing spray.

In the bathing area catering estabilishments and bar-in-the-water are available for our guests while in the hall the Colibri snack bar and restaurant where events can also be arranged.Besides, we would like to call your kind attention to the solariums; one of them is funnel-shaped and can be used in standing position while the other is horizontal, air-conditioned and furnished with refreshing spray.

 

THERAPY

In the immediate vicinity of the bath the recently renewed therapeutic unit has been working again since October 2004.

It welcomes both people who want to refresh themselves and guests sent and supported by the social insurance service.

Well-known specialists perform treatments with state-of-the-art equipment in a new environment in order to satisfy demands in an ever-encreasing circle.

Owing to the up-to-date patient direction system the process of the appointment-booking became simpler and the treatment of the patients is uninterrupted.

The separated surgeries ensure the undisturbed treatments for the patients; and relaxing is also possible in a friendly resting room after curing.