Památky Mariánské Lázně

Roman Catholic Church of the Assumption

Roman Catholic Church of the Assumption

This place of worship was built in the Neo-Byzantine style in 1844-1848. The construction of the church was initiated by the abbot Marian J. Heinl of the Monastery of Teplá, in the spirit of the abbot K. K. Reitenberger who had resigned. The plan of the orthogonal basilica, erected at the site where the Chapel of the Birth of the Virgin Mary had been standing since 1820, was designed by the architect Johann Gottfried Gutensohn of Munich, Bavaria. The construction was overseen by Anton Thurner of Přimda (architect of the Monastery of Teplá) and Joseph Kranner (builder and sculptor from Prague).

The interior decorations were the collective efforts of the following artists and craftsmen: plasterers Bader of Munich (Bavaria) and Pellegrini of Prague; painters Carl von Hampel of Vienna and Kratzmann of Prague, Strauss and Hochenögg of Munich (Bavaria), and last but not least the architect Bergmann of Prague. The sculptures decorating the church were created by the sculptor Josef Max of Prague, together with his student Josef Paris and assistants. Within the church, visitors may admire the altars consecrated to St. John and St. Norbert, as well as The Sacred Heart and The Holy Cross, not to mention The Stations of the Cross from 1886, created by the painter Mathauser of Prague. The statue of the beatified nobleman Hroznata is among several other noteworthy artworks to be seen. The original church bells dating back to 1835 and 1847 made by W. Sedlmayer of Planá and J. di Valle of Cheb were partly commandeered during the world wars. The church was consecrated by the abbot Heinl in 1848 and by the cardinal and archbishop B. of Schwarzenberk in 1850.

 

"Christ Church" Anglican Church

'Christ Church' Anglican Church

The Anglican Church is a later work of the architect William Burges from London. In 1879, the builder Friedrich Zickler built the church according to the Burges's layout. The building was initiated by an English lady - Anna Scott of Rodono - in honor of her husband who had died in Mariánské Lázně in 1867, thus she donated 12.000 gold coins for this purpose.

The church was made of red hard-burnt bricks without stucco in an English Roman-Gothic rural style. Only part of the original indoor equipment has been preserved - only the pulpit and a marble memorial plaque from 1911 commemorating the English king Edward VII who visited Mariánské Lázně many times. A section of the permanent exhibition is dedicated to him.

After a large reconstruction in 1994, the church was opened as an exhibition and concert hall. It has served as a ceremonial hall recently.

 

St. Vladimír's Orthodox Church

St. Vladimír's Orthodox Church

In the years 1900 - 1902, St. Vladimír's Orthodox Church replaced an Orthodox chapel which had been operating in the Town Hall since 1878. The orthodox priest Nikolaj N. Pisarevský together with local doctors undertook several fund-raising campaigns among the Serbian and Russian spa guests in order to raise money for a new Orthodox Church. Later, the architect Professor Nikolaj V. Sultanov (1850 - 1908) drew up the plans for the building, which were carried out by the well-known builder Gustav Wiedermann of Františkovy Lázně, who built similar Orthodox churches in Františkovy Lázně (1889) and Karlovy Vary (1893 - 1898). The floor plan is in the shape of a Greek cross whose central square overtops the side apses. A richly decorated majolica iconostasis, created in Kuzněcovo u Tveru for the World Exhibition in Paris in 1900, dominates the interior of the church. The musical bells were commandeered during the First World War. During the Second World War, the church was used as a storehouse. It was reopened in the second half of the 20th century.

 

Singing Fountain

Singing Fountain

The Singing Fountain is one of Mariánské Lázně's unique wonders. It is a round pool with a diameter of 18 m featuring a 12-piece stone sculpture representing a flower in the center of its shallow bowl. The core of the flower is made of polished stainless steel. The fountain contains 10 intrinsic water jet systems with more than 250 water jets. The water gushes from the water jet in the center up to a height of 6 meters. The creator of this artwork is the architect Pavel Mikšík. The first music piece for the Singing Fountain was composed by the Czech composer Petr Hapka. Other compositions followed, namely works by Chopin, Mozart, Bach, Gounod, Smetana, Dvořák and others. The fountain's spellbinding tones resound at every odd hour and the compositions are repeated regularly. The Singing Fountain was first heard on the 30th of April 1986.

The Singing Fountain is in operation from the 1st of May till 31st of October.  It is closed during the winter because of the freezing temperatures. The music is beeing played every day, every odd hour (7, 9, 11 etc.) from 7 a.m. till 9 p.m. + at 10 p.m. with lights.

 

Caroline's Spring (Karolinin pramen)

Caroline's Spring (Karolinin pramen) flows out of the ground beneath the former colonnade below the church. In 1809, the spring was named "New". In 1817, it was roofed by a cupola standing on eight Corinthian columns. The spring was renamed Caroline's Spring, in honor of Caroline Augusta, wife of the Emperor Franz I. The ceiling of the cupola was painted by Fuchs, who adorned it with portraits of emperors. They presumably did not greatly please, since the ceiling was soon repainted. In 1870, Ferdinand's Spring was piped from Úšovice to the copula, as was Rudolph's Spring in 1912, while Caroline's Spring did not get farther than the New Baths. It is now open to the public in the drinking hall.

 

Caroline's Spring

Caroline's Spring

(1869). The spring was named in honor of the wife of Emperor Franz I, Caroline Augusta. During the reconstruction of the colonnade in 1989, a replica of the former pavilion was built and shifted some 20 meters towards the colonnade.

 

The Forest Spring (Lesní pramen

Lesní pramen

The Forest Spring contains a grouping of hypotonic hydrocarbonate-calcium-sulphate-ferrous acidulous waters. The mineral water's chemical bond is as follows - the first anion is a hydrocarbon ion, the second is an oxygen cation, SO4 anion and chlorion. It ranks among the ferrous acidulous waters due to its high concentration of iron and CO2.

In 1840, a round pillared pavilion was built, later replaced by today's colonnade designed by the architect Bedřich Zicker.

The water is used for drinking cures and for gargling right at the spring. The overflow water is conducted to the Military Spa Institute and to the New Baths, where it is used for drinking cures and inhalations.

The Forest Spring (Lesní pramen) has been known since time immemorial. In 1683, it was marked on a map of this area as "Schneidsaeuerling". After the founding of the spa, people began calling it "Windy" or "Aeol" because of its flatulent effects. In the course of the land alterations of 1827 – 1828 it was renamed "Forest Spring".

 

Cross Spring (Křížový pramen)

Cross Spring (Křížový pramen)

Although the Cross Spring was not the first spring to be discovered, it has attained virtually worldwide renown since Nehr's times. Numerous tomes have been penned about its chemical, pharmacological and hydrological features.

Historical records of the Teplá Monastery, dating back to 1749, were the first to mention the Cross Spring, describing it as a „salty" spring producing „salty acidulous water“. At the time, the spring was used for drinking and bathing. Later, builder Antonín Therner used a layout designed by the regional building office in Prague and roofed the spring with an impressive pavilion standing on 72 Ionic pillars and decorated with a cupola and a golden cross. The former building was made of wood, bricks and stucco in order not to damage the spring with its weight. The original building was preserved until 1912. A completely new concrete pavilion was built, copying the original style while blending in Art Nouveau elements.

The best known spring – Cross Spring – used to be called Salty, just as Ferdinand's Spring, on account of its taste. In 1749, the apothecary Damian Schulz from Teplá had a tall carved cross erected near the Salty Spring, with stones laid around the location. Since that time, it has been referred to as the Cross Spring. The names of the following springs were found quoted in Zauschner's work written in 1766 – the Cross, Ambrose's and Mary's Springs.

Cross Spring Pavilion
(1818). The spring had a resurgence in 1912-13, and the pavilion was rebuilt to its former shape of an Empire building with a copula, golden patriarchal cross and 72 Ionic columns. The peristyle hall features a bust of J. J. Nehr.