Košice monuments

St. Elizabeth's Cathedral

St. Elizabeth's Cathedral

St. Elizabeth's Cathedral, considered to be one of the most beautiful Gothic structures in the world, was built between 1378 and 1508 and is the city's oldest architectural landmark. Particularly imposing is the main altar with its three oversize statues and forty-eight panel paintings, while the lateral altars, Gothic wall paintings and sculptures add to the charm. Refurbishment work on the Cathedral is currently under way.

 

St. Michael's Chapel

St. Michael's Chapel

St. Michael's Chapel located to the south of the Catedral, is a single-nave Gothic edifice from the 14th century. Originally a cemetery chapel, it is the city's second oldest building.

The Forgach Palace, an Empire style, 2 story palace, built for the nobility in the early 19th Century, currently houses the State Science Library.

The Eastern-Slovakia Museum, a majestic neo-Renaissance structure built in 1899, anchors the north end of the square. Exhibitions on eastern-Slovakia regional development, numismatic collections, and the Gold Treasure of Kosice - hoard of golden coins and other golden objects - are located here.

 

zdroj:www.kosice.info/sk